3rd Epsom (St Martin's) Scout Group

History

We are the oldest Scout Group in Epsom and Ewell having been continuously registered since September 1922.
Oct. 1918 - Beginning of troop as 24th Sutton
Oct. 1919 - Troop registered as 24th Sutton (St Martins)
Sept. 1922 - Troop became 3rd Epsom (St Martins)
1947 - The building of the scout and guide hut was started behind St John's Church
1951 - Geoff Collins joined the Cubs
1953 - The hut was finally finished
1962 - Work began on building a new hut over the top of the old one (The hut we still use today)
1966 - The hut was completed - slides showing the building of the HQ can be found here
1974 - Richard Ascough joined the Cubs
1982 - The Group celebrated their 60th anniversary and new scarf badges were designed
1984 - The Group's Beaver colony was started
1992 - The Group celebrated their 70th anniversary with a specially commissioned group badge
1995 - The Group first web site was launched
2013 - Geoff Collins retired as GSL after 62 years in the Group (52 years as a leader)
2015 - The group's Explorer unit was started

The Official History of 3rd Epsom (St Martin's) Scout Group is split into 6 parts (due to the size). This history has been compiled from such records such as St Martin's Church magazine, minutes of Group committees, AGM's, log books and the history of Epsom and Ewell District. Many thanks are owed to David Faulkner who has complied the majority of this history together with other people associated with the Scout Group, particularly the Collins family, Leslie and Edith Clark and Richard Ascough.

We hope you enjoy reading this history and feel that you then know a bit more about the Group as the longest continuous registered Group in Epsom and Ewell. Inevitably there will be omissions and errors, therefore if anyone has any additions or corrections, however small, they would be very much appreciated.

The history can be downloaded at the following links: