Our plans for getting back together at Scouts safely (updated 4th September 2020):
As some of the government restrictions around the COVID-19 pandemic begin to be relaxed, we’re starting to plan for how we’ll be able to return to face-to-face Scouts activities at 3rd Epsom (St. Martin’s) Scout Group in the future. Our restarting plans will follow all government rules and guidance from Scouts’ UKHQ. Our priority is to keep young people and adults safe.
An outline of how we will operate, following Scouts’ ‘COVID Code’:
• New control measures will be in place for all activities
• Additional hygiene measures will be put in place
• Social distancing will be observed
• Group sizes will be limited
• Adjustments will be made for young people vulnerable or affected by COVID
Returning to Scouts will happen in phases, the first of which will let us resume outdoor activities in small groups. Returning to face-to-face Scouts is voluntary for all young people, parents/carers and volunteers.
Arrival and departure arrangements:
• Initially we will be meeting outside only, at the Scout HQ, in local parks and other open areas (e.g. Epsom Downs)
• Group sizes will be limited, we are currently limited to 15 young people and up to 5 adults, so we may run several groups separately at the same time. Each may have their own arrival and departure times and locations.
• Details will be sent out via OSM, please let us know your plans so we can ensure Groups sizes are not exceeded.
Hand sanitisation, hygiene and personal protective equipment:
• Hand Sanitiser will be available to be used at the start, during and end of each session.
• First Aid kits will be available for each Group, including PPE.
• We ask that each child/adult brings their own face covering in case of emergency and we need to administer first aid without adhering to social distancing rules.
• Activities and games will be arranged to that current 2m social distance guidance will be adhered to.
• We will be asking everyone to respect each other’s space and observe social distancing rules.
• If we do meet inside then Scouts, Explorers and Leaders will have to wear face coverings (Exceptions as per national guidelines are permitted). Leaders don't need to wear face coverings when delivering activities - however, it's recommended to wear one in all other circumstances while indoors.
Other measures in place:
• It should be noted that not all locations have toilets, so please go before you come.
• Where equipment is used it should not be shared and will be cleaned or unused for 72 hours as appropriate.
• Full details of our Covid-19 return to Scouting Risk Assessment - See bottom of page. (updated 4th September 2020)
• The Group Response Policy can also be seen at the bottom of the page.
(updated 4th September 2020)
Permission to attend:
• Before attending we will need everyone to confirm that you understand the new measures in place and are happy for your child to resume coming to outdoor meetings.
• An event has been sent to adults and children from OSM to confirm their agreement to return to face to face Scouting.
Finally, we’re required to keep a register of those attending to help with the track and trace process, and details will be passed on as appropriate.
For the rest of the year we are likely to have more and smaller groups meeting and hence will require more DBS checked volunteers. If you are happy to get DBS checked so that you can help, please contact Richard Ascough.
Thank you for your support and if you have any questions please do get in touch with one of the leaders.